As the Adoption Education Board member, I figure if I am confused, then others might be too! So...here is a little information about Adoption Education for current adoptive applicants of the Western WA FSA Chapter:
• A minimum of 10 hours of Adoption Education are required for new applicants (anyone applying after January 1, 2010). All approved applicants are encouraged to get as much Adoption Education as possible.
• Prospective birth parents will be informed regarding the amount of Adoption Education attended by prospective adoptive couples.
• The LDS Family Services (LDSFS) Western WA Office has established 5 Adoption Education classes which are required for all new applicants.
• These classes will be held monthly as well as at other various times during the year. (Currently, on the 3rd Thursday of the month in the Renton LDSFS office at 7pm (lasting 60-90 minutes). Additional opportunities to attend these classes will be set up as needed. Currently, they are scheduled in Oregon (on Saturday, June 19th, 2010, 10am -3pm) and will also be held in Renton on (Saturday, August 21, 10am-4pm). The Class Outline can be found under the Education tab found at the top of this page.
• Additionally, all applicants are required to attend a birth parent panel or birth parent interactive event (such as scheduling to meet with a birth parent for personal feedback on your profile).
• Beyond the 5 office sponsored courses and a birth parent panel or event, Adoption Education hours (for a minimum total of 10) can be obtained through FSA sponsored Adoption Education events and/or the Regional FSA Conference (which will be held in WA this November) or National FSA Conferences (in Utah annually – July 30-31, 2010) and/or outside Adoption Education (such as classes sponsored by the State Division of Health and Human Services (or other reputable agency).
Hopefully the above information helps to answer any questions you may have regarding Adoption Education requirements and opportunities for our chapter. The Western WA FSA Chapter Blog (http://www.fsawa.blogspot.com) and the Western WA Office Blog (http://adoptionhub.blogspot.com) will post Adoption Education opportunities regularly. If you have further questions, don’t hesitate to contact a member of the LDSFS Office Adoption Team (listed on the right side bar of this blog).
I look forward to meeting more of you as we journey together through the maze and blessings of adoption.