“Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments. No one asks for their life to change, not really. But it does.
So, what are we, helpless? Puppets? Nah. The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's
when you find out who you are." - Joss Whedon

Monday, December 1, 2008

Info from Melissa's Presentation on Being Adopted from the November 2008 Conference



Hello my name is Melissa Fannin! One of my sayings in life is I was adopted and proud of it! Being adopted is awesome! My theory on adoption is simple. Us, adopted kids, have six parents: Our Heavenly Parents, Our Birth – Parents, and my parents. With all these people we have so much extra love than the people with only four. I grew up always knowing that I was adopted. In my opinion EVERY child needs to grow up with this knowledge. Seriously, if you don’t tell them it will ruin your relationship with your child. Plus, they won’t get out of those genetic science assignments. Growing up adopted was cool. I’m just a normal person. Every child has to come to terms with adoption. So while coming to terms with being adopted I had this blanket give and made by my birth mother which says made with love! I was also recently given a ring that my birth mother gave to me with a heart that says you’re in my heart. These gifts helped me through times where I felt unloved or unwanted. These gifts always remind me of how much I am extra loved. I wear my ring on a chain everyday since I received it and I sleep with the blanket every night and I make sure that the made with love corner is right by my heart. When other people found out I was adopted they didn’t understand it at all. I sometimes wonder how come they don’t get it. It used to bother me when friends at school would find out because they didn’t understand what I understood. They didn’t know that adoption means just an extra bundle of love. They would make me feel like an outsider or something. But, as I grew up I started to feel sorry for them because they didn’t understand that adoption is amazingly AWESOME! Sometimes I would feel like I was the only one is the whole world that was adopted but, then I would meet other kids my age who were too. We instantly feel this amazing connection it is like we are members of a select exclusive club. This past summer I learned my roommate at EFY was adopted too and we just totally hit it off and had a lot of the same opinions about being adopted. We also had grown up with similar experiences. It was really great being able to relate with someone on that level. While going through understanding adoption I came across this song which really helped me comprehend adoption. Its called "You are Loved" by Josh Groban and he has an amazing voice so you should listen to it on my blog (http://adopted-and-proud-of-it.blogspot.com). I just want to express how thankful I am for my birth mother I know that she still loves me and cares for me and that is why she gave me to my parents. She gave me the most precious gift of life and she gave me my amazing parents! There isn’t a day where I am unthankful for her sacrifice. It reminds me of the scripture in John 3 :15. She loved me so much that she gave me to my parents! To close I’d like to read this Poem and I thought it was pretty fantastic. The name of it is Legacy of an Adopted Child.

Once there were two women who never each other.
One you do not remember, the other you call Mother.
Two different lives, shaped to make you one.
One became a guiding star; the other became your sun.
The first gave you life and the second taught you to live in it.
One gave you nationality; the other gave you a name.
One gave you a seed of talent; the other gave you an aim.
One gave you emotions; the other calmed your fears.
One gave you up…it was all that she could do.
The other prayed for a child and God led her straight to you.
And now you ask, through your fears.
The age old questions, unanswered through the years.
Heredity or environment…which are you the product of…

Neither my darling…neither.
Just two special kinds of love.

No comments: